BirdWatch Ireland http://www.birdwatchireland.ie is the largest independent conservation organisation in Ireland. A registered charity, it's aim is the conservation of wild birds and their natural habitats. Established in 1968, it has over 15,000 members and a growing network of 30 local branches. It manages nature reserves which protect threatened habitats and the wildlife that relies on them, works to conserve Ireland’s biodiversity, produces a range of media to raise wider awareness of nature conservation in Ireland, and carries out important education, survey and research work.
BirdWatch Ireland is the official Irish partner of BirdLife International, the world’s largest partnership of conservation organisations, which strives to conserve birds, their habitats and global biodiversity.
The key aims of BirdWatch Ireland are:
• To maintain and, where possible, improve the conservation status of all Irish bird species;
• To prevent the extinction of any Irish bird species in the wild;
• To conserve, and where appropriate, improve and enlarge sites and habitats important for birds;
• To help through birds to conserve biodiversity (other wildlife) and thereby improve the quality of people's lives;
• To integrate nature conservation with sustainable development; and
• To educate and promote awareness of our birdlife and habitats.